Generic name of Ambien is Zolpidem. It acts upon chemicals present in the brain of people suffering from insomnia (sleep problems). Insomnia is a big problem among a lot of people as it causes us to act less proficiently and causes the brain to function improperly, if it is remaining untreated for longer period then it can be detrimental to our overall health. Zolpidem helps you sleep better if you are having difficulty in sleeping. It belongs to sedative-hypnotics class of drugs. Ambien comes in the extended release form which has two layers.
It was designed in the 1990s and had less severe side effects than other hypnotic drugs. Since then, it has become one of the most sought-after drugs. It is taken on a short-term period ranging from 1 to 2 weeks. It can be accessible by prescription only. This medication is a short-term solution for insomniacs but one should know that it can also cause dependency if the patient overdoses or uses it for too long. But on the other side it can improve the brain function because the sleep level attained by having this medication permits the brain to rest and work efficient.
Ambien should be taken on an empty stomach upon consultation with the doctor. It should not be taken in larger quantities or for longer than prescribed. It is usually taken once a night and right before going to sleep. It does not work effectively if taken right after the meal. You should only take this drug when you have at least 7-8 hours for sleep. Waking up before stipulated time of 7-8 hours might lead to some memory loss and might affect your alertness.
Quantity of dosage depends on gender, age and medical condition. At a time, dosage should not increase more than 10 mg for men and should less than 10 mg for women. Always follow prescription provided by your doctor and do not ingest more than required.
Consult your doctor before taking the medication. This drug is not approved for children. It is a habit-forming drug and its misuse can lead to overdose, addiction or in severe cases, it might lead to death. Ambien can cause severe allergic reaction so it is important to avoid taking Ambien for longer period of time else it could result in sudden death.
There are some withdrawal bad effects that mean this medication will cause some serious ill effects such as nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, shakiness and stomach cramps if you unexpectedly stop consuming Ambien. So, it is suggested to slowly lower the dosages of this drug which will eventually help prevent from ill-side effects or tell you doctor urgently if your health is deteriorated badly. There are some more unwanted side effects. If they occur that means you need immediate medical attention. It was seen that some people become sexually uninhibited while on Ambien. They sooner or later display thrilling sexual behaviour or some do not remember that they engaged in sexual activity when they wake up the following morning.
That some common unwanted side effects are, Chest ache, misperception about individuality, place, and time, dissuasion, wrong or uncommon sense of comfort, fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse, numbness or empty, fever, general feeling of discomfort or illness, nausea, cold sweats, cough, crying, decreased awareness or responsiveness, irritability, lack of appetite, light-headedness, yellow eyes or skin, unease or dissatisfaction with life loss of interest or pleasure, shakiness and unsteady walk, tiredness, trouble concentrating, trouble sleeping, unsteadiness, trembling, or further difficulties with muscle control or coordination, infrequent weariness or faintness. Hallucination is also one of the side effects when a person is on Ambien medication. Some people hear and see some things which actually aren’t there.
• Person with allergies may consult doctor or pharmacist and tell your medical history clearly to them before having zolpidem as this drug includes inactive constituents which may become the reason for allergic responses or additional many other problems.
• Food decreased the effect of Ambien so it is suggested not to take food before taking this medication as it shows results faster than taken with food.
• Avoid consuming alcoholic beverages while on Ambien. And avoid taking Ambien if you aren’t likely to stay in bed for the next 6 to 7 hours after consuming this drug.
• Insomnia is a big issue among a lot of people all over the world. Ambien and Ambien CR have become the alternative of many other forms of insomnia medication. it will help you to stay asleep but do not cut, crush or chew this drug. It is recommended to take drug with full glass of water.
• Restrain yourself from drive or any other risky tasks because Higher amount of dosages and the CR formulation may impair following day attentiveness and your capacity to drive.
• Do not increase or decrease your dosages and CR formulation on your own take only as recommended by your pharmacist.
• This medication is not meant for children.
• Addiction of Ambien is not good for health so usage of this medication will be minimal.
• Ambien can cause you dizziness particularly if you want to get up in the mid of night so slowly get out of bed to reduce the risk of falls.
• Talking about pregnancy, it should be taken only when recommended by doctor. Pregnant women’s who have used this medicine in the last 3 months of pregnancy may have gone through with drowsiness, difficulty in breathing, or withdrawal symptoms.
Every medication has its own properties so does Ambien has. This medication is easy to buy as it comes in very affordable rates. It brings new hope to patients who are a victim of insomnia can have the ability to give patients their life back. if you get sound sleep each night you are able to function properly throughout the day without having a constant state of tiredness and sleepiness. Ambien proves to be worth trying to get rid of insomnia that too in very cheaper rates.